Saturday, October 27, 2012

Autumn Inspiration

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The anticipation is growing here in the Northeast, as we await the arrival of Hurricane Sandy.  Such a pleasant name for something which can bring devastation.  Everyone up and down the coast has stocked up on water, batteries, generators, non-perishable food, propane, pet supplies, medication.  I am usually not impressed by the weather reports of impending disaster.  It's quite often wrong or over-rated.  This time, I am listening and preparing. 

While we still have some leaves on the trees, I took a little walk and got some gorgeous Fall inspiration.  Take a look at what I found:

Barberry bush
 
The above photo is a barberry bush in my yard.  The colors this time of year are stunning.  What a gorgeous color palette for a quilt, room decor, or a table scape.  Notice the bits of gold peeking through from below.  (Something to remember when I make another greeting card.)
 
Japanese Maple
 
I love the Japanese maples in my yard.  We inherited them from the previous owners and I just love them.  There's a large one at the corner of the driveway and the walkway to the front door.  It's a welcoming tree as it looks gorgeous in any season.  The photo above is a dwarf tree next to my driveway, but closer to the road.  It is always full and lush and brings happiness each time I look at it!
 
Brilliant raspberry colored leaves
 
This is one of my favorite colors!  If you haven't guessed yet, I'm partial to shades of raspberry, Cabernet, plum and vermilion.  Those of you gardeners out there can help me out with the name of this shrub.  It blooms with tiny purple flowers in the summer and keeps the bees so occupied.  For those who are artists, I could see these colors as an inspiration for jewelry or a scarf.  (Maybe painted silk...?)
 

Oats
These oats are so serene with their subdued colors.  They make nice additions to dried flower arrangements.  What do I love about them?  I like their flatness.  Really...you should see them up close...they are not like farmer's oats. 

close-up view of oats

I hope this close-up allows you to see what they're like.

This blog is about crafts as well as other things of beauty.  I have a cute pumpkin craft that my mom made for me the other week.  I had to share because it is so darned pretty and easy to make.

Longaberger basket with little pumpkin
 
You take a Jack-be-Little pumpkin and use hot glue to attach dried flowers to the top 1/4.  Vary the colors to achieve a balanced floral arrangement.  The Jack-be-Little pumpkin is sitting next to a Longaberger pumpkin basket.
 
 
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment