Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sunshine Stepping Stones

Welcome to Sunshine Stepping Stones!  We're going to have fun!  First let me introduce myself...I'm Jen and I love crafts, cooking and being kind.  I am married and have have two active children, ages 12 and 9 who keep me busy. 

I have been crafting since I was in elementary school.  I have tried many different crafts over the years.  There are so many ways to be creative with your hands and a few supplies.  One time, before I had children, I made Easter cards with an embossed stamped gold basket on the front.  To fill the basket with eggs, I punched dots with a standard hole punch and glued them to the front of the card, meticulously placing each color-coordinated dot with tweezers.  Time consuming?  Yes!  Amazing result?  Of course!

I can't wait to share some delicious recipes...soups, stews, salads, desserts...the possibilities!  My mouth is watering at the thought!  Love easy, inexpensive ways to feed your family?  Well, I do to and I'd love to share some tried and true dishes with you.

For starters, here's the Pasta Fagioli recipe I make so often I know it by heart:

Pasta Fagioli

Pasta Fagioli


Doesn't it look yummy?  This is a dish frequently served for lunch or dinner in my house.

8 ounces ditalini pasta
8 oz ditalini


Pasta Fagioli

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (30-ounce) can Italian crushed tomatoes in puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups chicken broth
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini  or kidney beans, drained
8 ounces ditalini pasta
salt and pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, or until softened.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.  Add tomatoes with puree, oregano and broth.  Cover and cook 5 minutes to heat through.  Add beans and simmer 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook ditalini about 6-8 minutes until half cooked; drain.  Add to soup.  Cook 15-20 minutes to combine flavors and finish cooking pasta. Season with salt and pepper.  Pass a bowl of grated Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper on the side.

Makes 8 servings

Oh, the journey you and I will go on together!  We will talk about ways we can share handmade items with others.  I love finding ways to share food (universally comforting) and goodies with friends, family and others.  We will talk about ways we can increase our awareness of people around us who may be going through challenging times.

No doubt you have friends and family who like to craft, cook and share...please recommend this blog to them and we'll all have fun together! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment